and a whole bunch of meandering thoughts on a weird week.
I didn’t end up getting as much of the routine as I wanted due to a mid-late week battle with food poisoning, but I’m back on my feet now and easing back into things.
I am not an I HATE WINTER person when it comes to running. There are mornings where I’ll be grumbling, but in general give me 20 over 80 any day for running. Getting out of bed on a chilly, dark day? That’s another story. Especially with that marathon present to myself, marathon teddy
I was looking at my upcoming race calendar and where are they? Central Park, Central Park, Delray, Central Park (maybe, haven’t signed up for this one), Fort Lauderdale, Riverside Park, Central Park, Central Park, Bermuda. I guess I’m already escaping winter. I finally updated the race calendar/race recaps which I hadn’t. Oops
One of my expo purchases was the NYC Marathon edition of the 1080s, and I’m so glad I did, because I love them, and because the new 1080s are FUGLY. I may need to put finding a new shoe on my 2020 list because no. Function > fashion, but NO.
I never managed to get my medal engraved last week during Marathon Monday at the pavillion or later in the week at the Run Center due to lines. I wasn’t too worried as there were options and there’s nothing special about NYRR’s own engraving as they use a vendor. I was at mom’s over the weekend and remembered a shop we’d used for personalized gifts as kids and stopped in. Mom picked it up Wednesday and I love the font. Yay small businesses.
For the first time in a very long time (i.e. the year that I quit #GoTheDist), logging my steps is making me mad. I still track them as I wear my fitbit 24/7, but seeing that I’m not hitting my goal isn’t making me happy. Luckily it’s mostly (see above re: food poisoning) within my control, so time to take those steps. No pun intended. That said, I think no junk steps during marathon training was a good one, and I might need to re-look at step goals for 2020. Onto steps..
- never miss a Monday: missing my brain. Had plans to meet a dear friend for a run/walk as she re-starts running after some medical down time. I forgot: my socks, my Garmin. Luckily I can run in work socks and she tagged me in Strava. Definitely one of those I’d forget my head if it weren’t screwed on days.
- Tuesday: work craziness had me at the office long after I planned on being at the gym. I still made it for some strength training, PT and foam rolling.
- Wednesday: was meant to be my first workout with Rogue post marathon. I bailed a mile into it as my stomach wasn’t having it.
- Thursday: minimal steps as the body is not meant to exist on 400 calories
- Friday: did not push recovery
- Saturday: six Central Park miles. I missed that loop.This felt good. I was not pushing the pace as food had been minimal since Wednesday, and it was a smart move to take a chew on a short run given the lack of food. I had water with me but forgot the park fountains would be off. Guess it’s back to the hydration belt, although I did just buy myself an SPI belt with the JackRabbit Bunny Bucks in the marathon goodie bag
- Sunday: spectating the ultra. Gym PT. Continuing closet clean out & organization. Hardcore adulting.
Plan for the week:
- Monday: run with friends
- Tuesday: off
- Wednesday: dinner with Darlene, Elizabeth
- Thursday: return of the office run group?
- Friday: off. Birthday mischief with friends
- Saturday: birthday miles. Distance TBC. Tickets to A Christmas Carol and dinner with mom & Bob
- Sunday: Race to Deliver 4M. My 4M PR is almost two years old and I’m not sure I’m anywhere close to it, but it will be fun to try. Or set a new benchmark. I’m very curious to see what effect marathon volume had on my speed overall. I did see that pace in a time trial in July, but 4M very different from 2M.