So much reading this week. I finished Tommy Tomlinson’s excellent The Elephant in the Room, am reading Tom Piazza’s Why New Orleans Matters ahead of a visit to New Orleans and on Tuesday night went to Dr. Jill Biden’s 92nd Street Y event for Where the Light Enters. I love having allthebooks going at once, but really wish I could get into audio books for reading on the run.
Other posts this week:
- Sunday: aka where I left off last week. Not only did I not run, but I went to a restaurant and sat down to eat. Eating in my lap gets old eventually. A low key day with cut & color was good ahead of a late night with the Lortel Awards. Mental days off are as important as physical.
- Monday: never miss a Monday in a big way. I usually don’t bother posting my run maps, but this one just makes me laugh. I don’t know the long routes ex-work so this was some extra loops to pick up mileage. Especially the little curlicue at the bottom right. This felt good. The bridle path was good cushioning, and it was wonderfully serene and muddy. Was seven miles, despite Strava seeing it as 6.99 and ergo 6.9. Mileage thief!
- Tuesday: off. Well sort of. No formal exercise but weather that facilitated walking to a morning meeting and to Dr. Biden’s book launch event after work. 18K steps was enough for me not to call it an off day. Staying out of politics here, but it was really interesting to hear her interviewed by Tara Westover due to their very different experiences with and in the American educational system. Has anyone read Educated? I read and reviewed one of Joe Biden’s books, haven’t pushed myself to read his second about Beau’s death. Curious to see where Jill Biden’s shakes out in terms of love, loss & politics. I liked her line from the dialogue that she told him she couldn’t live his life, she needed to live her own life and therefore continued teaching. She is believed to be the first Second Lady to hold a full-time job.
- Wednesday: my foot was tender from crappy (non running) shoes so I stuck to an out and back on the bridle path with a loop around the reservoir. Legs felt good.
- Thursday: office run group, Harlem Hills edition. We were nowhere near as fast as last Tuesday, but faster than last Thursday. Harlem HIlls still suck less than Cat Hill, and in some ways the first of the West Side Rollers. These hills will pay off, yes they will. I’m really loving the weekday night medium long ish runs.
- Friday: off. Heading up to mom’s and sore ankle needs a break. It’s fine & not running related, just too much walking/commuting in crappy women’s shoes and all the rain = aching joints.
- Saturday: meant to be a long run, but I was feeling off. Turned into a three mile walk/run and I was OK with that. Listening to my body. There’s been plenty of mileage this week.
- Sunday: off.
Plan for Week:
- Monday: run
- Tuesday: run or cross
- Wednesday: cross/off
- Thursday: office run group
- Friday: maybe run, likely off with last minute conference planning
- Saturday: New Orleans bound!
Blog likely hit or miss until I return. One day I’ll be a phone blogger. 🙂