and to be honest, I really didn’t mind that much. It’s no secret I’ll take winter running over summer any day, and even when going for a walk, it’s more tolerable.
That said, I did move some runs around and enjoy a lie-in Tuesday morning rather than a morning walk. I regret nothing.
This week also featured the return of #CariCooks. There’s something about winter that just lends itself to it even though I hadn’t used my new Instant Pot much. After making Mississippi Chicken a lot, I pivoted to pork, which I liked much better and then didn’t make it much. I did a Peapod order last week and they didn’t have pork shoulder, so chicken it was. First time I made it in the instant pot and found the jasmine rice worked well. Made for four wonderful lunches, just wasn’t feeling it Thursday and got poke instead.
The accidental smoke detector test? Spaghetti carbonara of course. I did so well the first time, but August was an adventure and Saturday? Well open window at 8 degrees to blow the smoke out. Luckily it was lunch and not breakfast so I didn’t wake any neighbors. Most importantly, it was delicious even if I’m no risk of ever becoming a professional chef.
- never miss a Monday: I blame the cold snap on my neighbors who tried to jail a snow man. I remember not much about this run, but it was a good way to start the week with some fresh river air.
- Tuesday: single digit wind chills. Could have gotten up early and done a strength class, but lay in bed reading Rebecca Serle’s In Five Years (so good! Has anyone else besides Melissa read it?) Full body Peloton strength after work and am enjoying the longer strength on non running days.
- Wednesday: milder, wind chill in mid teens. Really beautiful run aside from the icicles giving me some definite pause.
- Thursday: office run group. 40 felt like 70 after the wind chills in the teens. Really pretty sight as I crossed Park Avenue on my return home and always good to wind down the week with a colleague.
- Friday: I saw that Saturday was going to be unrunnable and took advantage of the afternoon before the wind kicked up. It was an absolutely gorgeous walk through Central Park with watercolor skies. Topped that off with a Peloton Barre class, which I always enjoy. Barre v bar, life in your 40s? Never was much of a bar person, even in my 20s.
- Saturday: -4 wind chill when I woke up, which was an excellent reason to have a lie-in and read. I did leave the apartment to attempt some errands once the wind chill hit double digits. I was glad I wasn’t outside long term (and had warm gloves!) but it wasn’t as bad as I feared. I don’t think I’d have enjoyed running in it though and know I made the right decision. I also think I needed a break from “have to” after a good long week.
- Sunday: running 8ish miles. I still haven’t figured out if I’m training for February 27, but it’s time to get the miles up again.
For the week, definitely looking forward to some David Bowie in my Pelolife and work being .01% less crazy. I love what I do, but last week was intense.