While I have no idea how Christmas is in literally a week, I’m slowly getting festive. I have a Twig hiding somewhere but in the mean time the Christmas spirit is coming from an awesome penguin advent calendar supervised by one of my Christmas dinosaurs from Manhattan Toy. The only downside to the recent apartment rearranging is that the dinos can no longer make “accidental” zoom cameos.
Despite taking it easy in August and an uneven November and December, a thousand miles on the year is alive.
the other goals for 2022? Mixed bag. As Old Dominion says, that’s a song for another time.
I’d say the goal drove my runs for the week, but really it didn’t occur to me until Saturday when I decided to update my tracker for the first time since November. Oops. But hoping it’s a good motivator for this week’s runs as I’ll be away much of the following without control of my schedule. It’s a challenge, but a manageable one which makes it a really good goal.
Linking up with Deborah and Kim to talk about this week’s runs.
- never miss a Monday: it was COLD and I didn’t want to run, so I didn’t even run commute. I did bring my clothes and, as I said in a text to two friends, I have to get home, so I might as well run. I’ll runfess, I don’t love the Trot Happy hat for 20 degree wind chills as it’s not particularly warm, but it is cute. These tights and that Brooks shirt don’t match anything so might as well put them together. The Brooks jacket is surprisingly opaque for a white jacket and does make the outfit look slightly more put together, as if I cared. Winter is just perfect for !never match since there are so many layers not to match with.
- Tuesday: remember the sinkholes? They’re back. Was working from home and had to scout it out. I could blame that for a run cut short, but the path is still open until just north of HSS where they’re doing unrelated construction. If I’m being selfish, if they close it, I won’t miss this run the way I did during full WFH, but it’s a huge loss for the neighborhood-one that has nowhere near enough green space. And yes, I realize the hilarity of referring to a paved path with trees as green space. We’re meant to be along the water, and coupled with the massive construction in East River Park, that’s not really a thing on the East side. You can’t really see it, but the green peeking out is the race shirt from the 2019 NYC Half that is a regular base layer. Trying to get my festive on but sometimes it’s just too cold.
- Wednesday: planned no run morning as Mo and I were meeting up after work to “run” the holiday lights. Not knocking our pace, just the reality that with the crowds it’s impossible to run. But really, the run was about catching up and seeing the lights. Wouldn’t trade a single photo, cris cross of the streets for a second faster. Between this being a walk/run and knowing I had two days off later in the week I wasn’t worried about running three days in a row.
- Thursday: off, work holiday party. Second event this week at the StarChild rooftop. The views are stunning but I have no photos since it poured for two days straight.
- Friday: still raining.
- Saturday: I didn’t know what I wanted to run. This has been an ongoing challenge of late, but after two soakers I knew I wanted to get out and play, and that the bridle path would be kinder on my knees. So I decided to go chase a sunset. No sunset, but lots of winter cherries and antics from Fred the hat stealer. Mostly pain free with some stops for pictures and stretches. 5M long run isn’t a bad base to start half marathon training with in January.
- Sunday: time to start holiday shopping. What better way to get to the Columbus Circle holiday marks than a literal walk in the park? This is actually my only in person shopping, and it’s fun. Although also dangerous in the sense of “ooh, someone would like that” impulse purchases. My quads? Did not like that after PT work last night, a nicely passed walk and then a cold holiday market meander. Don’t worry quads, you’ll get the gift of a foam roller.
Congrats on getting so close to 1k. Even with half training I am nowhere near & that’s okay by me.
Love the Winter Cherries! So pretty. Also a cute photo of Fred stealing your beanie.
Miss NYC at Christmas. So many years spent in the TKTS line on Christmas Day!
Oh yeah, it’s not a competition. It’s just a fun personal challenge.
You should try to come next year. More options showing on a Tuesday, even aside from your busy personal life this year
Wow, good luck on surpassing the 1K! I will not be anywhere close (and I’m totally fine with that). If I add in my walking miles, though, I’m well past 1500 (combined), LOL. With all of my streak runs, this time of year, I wear a lot of the base layers multiple times (because there’s not much sweating for those 1-milers)…so I have a lot of interesting colors and patterns happening “under-wraps.” I’m totally fine with that, too.
You have a way more solid mix of exercise than I do.
I haven’t cycled much since summer (fine with that on this end) and my walking has fallen off. We all find the magic formula tat works for us.
Interesting colors and patterns, words to live by
I thought I might make the 1K this year but nope not even close. I am cheering you on and hope you make it. This year did fly by and I can’t believe it’s almost January! Have a great week ahead and Merry Christmas to you
Thank you! It’s a fun chase. I gave the goal up in the sense of “it’s smarter to take it easy” so fun to see some balance kept it alive.
So glad you’re spending Hanukkah in your happy place.
Guess what. I can reach 1k today if I run.
I’ve been waiting for the pink bear. Hi.
We can twin since I recently wore my Fred hat and nyc half shirts are often my base layer.
So happy I got to see NYC. If not for that rain day I would have seen more. See you in March if not sooner.
Oh, glad the penguins and dinos get along. 😉
I did one outdoor run in the dark last week, but opted for the tread today.
Yesterday was all impulse shopping, but I found some fun things.
Beautiful views, even if it was raining.
Way to go on almost 1K. I dropped off of Strava a bit so I would have to manually add up my totals.
Nothing matched or looked cute today. It was all about staying warm in 30F weather. Brrr.
Way to go on almost hitting the 1K mark – that’s awesome!
Your in-person shopping at Columbus Circle sounds fun. I miss shopping at all the cute outdoor markets in NYC around this time of year. I used to visit the one in Bryant Park if I had to come into the city for work.
1k miles in a year is an impressive goal, best of luck with it! Matching clothes is overrated, especially when you need to layer for the cold.
How lovely with winter cherries! Ihaven’t heard about them before.
You got this Cari! This post made me go look at my stats for the year and do you know I am at 945 miles for the year? Idk if I can hit 1000, tho. 55 miles in 10 days? During the holidays? With a blizzard coming? Now you know I want to. Had I known I was so close, I would have stepped up sooner!
Isn’t that the worst? You come tantalizingly close. But whether or not we make it, we both kicked ass this year. We’re not going to talk about how far off I am from my reading goal. But i read, and that’s what matters.
Yay for closing in on 1K – you’ll do it! I have no idea where my mileage is for this year but I’m sure it’s fairly modest.
Coordinating definitely takes a backseat to being warm – you should see what I’ve been throwing together LOL 😉
Glad one of us is getting the 1k in though I should make 900 hopefully! Well done for getting through those miles!
Often, not matching gives the best looks, LOL! I’m reading your blogs backwards so know you made the 1K in the end! Well done – I’m also training for a Half Marathon starting January so I’m enjoying getting back into it, with much lower mileage at the moment!