Stealing Jessie’s format for this.
- it’s not missing a Monday if I ran two days in a row. Long overdue drinks with friends. Was accidentally Galentine’s Day after a few reschedules, and it was fun to catch up over some pretty drinks.
- Tuesday: well maybe the best decision before a quality hill workout isn’t a light dinner? I was in the park early after a doctor’s appointment (all fine, routine checkup) to tackle hill repeats. No better place to keep me honest than the Cat. 3x 30s/1m/2m repeats up Cat Hill capped off with two 3m repeats all at half marathon pace. I have a love/hate relationship with the Fort Lauderdale Half, but had to wear the shirt on race week for friends who intended to run it this year. If not for blood work at the doc’s I’d have worn long sleeves and no jacket, but the pockets served me well. After zooms upon zooms, I snuck out for a sunset walk.
- Wednesday: late night at the office. Walked in and part of the way home.
- Thursday: I walked back to the office past the Hershey store on my way back from the denist-yes, an all body parts week and yes, that was way more interesting than my lunch. Office run group on another ridiculously mild night. We’re both running the same race so it’s fun way to debrief on training.
- Friday: rain cleared before drinks with a friend, but not in time to walk there so an unplanned off day.
- Saturday: brunch with friends. Had some vague wave plans to run to or from ice festival, but it was brisker than it had been and the layers I needed for Governors Island would be too much for my backpack, so I landed on running when I got home. I missed the 2:15 ferry and dozed on the train, so rather than rush garbage miles of Monday’s workout, I opted for an extra day off.
- Sunday: I mentioned last week, the ten mile run would be the confidence booster in this Half cycle. In truth, Tuesday’s hill workout was already that. While the Manhattan Bridge/ramp from FDR are far from flat, there’s no point where I’ll be doing 30s/1m/2m/3m hill repeats. So it was icing on the training cake that Sunday’s ten miler felt absolutely amazing. Randall’s Island is my go to for eight, and I knew roughly what I needed to add to make it ten so it was nice to be on autopilot and just run. It was still mild for February but the head wind at the northern tip of the island was a beast. Speaking of northern tip, no idea why the GPS blipped at that one spot. As far as I know, no prison or anything nearby – Rikers is actually off to the east. While there are legit complaints with the Apple Watch GPS, it never has been an issue for me. Sure if I were worried about exact splits, but that will never be me. I do love the little notches. One was veering off to the bathroom and the other, my traditional wiggle over the pedestrian bridge to the Bronx so I can run in two boroughs and on the main land. Fun fact, the Bronx is the only part of NYC on the continental US land mass.
I am really loving Team Wilpers’ training for this Half because it’s personalized to my paces. Now, like every runner everywhere I’m still running too fast, but I’m trying not to. Like I said in December, I’m not in PR shape but I’m very optimistic for a strong spring.
Speaking of goals, I just registered for my 2023 destination race, the BOLDER Boulder! I’ll be in the area for a conference and decided to turn it into a racecation. Of course I’m also planning to hike in the days before, and it will be at altitude, so it’s not a goal race pace wise, but it will be fun. Have you run it?