I tried to write coffee, and gave up and drank more coffee. Who else had way too much coffee and screen time this week? Just a short run down on a week I was grateful to the outdoor weather.
All I’m going to say about the election is this telegraph sign on the old Piermont Station felt way too relevant.
Weekly Run Down with Kim and Deborah:
- never miss a Monday: another day where getting out the door early wasn’t happening, but I got in four miles in before work which is always a good start to the week. Not a good start to the week is staying up to watch the Giants lose yet another heartbreaker in prime time. I think America is happy to have a 1-7 team out of prime time after two weeks in a row, my eyelids are also happy for a 1p game.
- Tuesday: hiked the ramble to try and get the clock to move. Stunning to get off the beaten path a little and away from cell signal. Always fun to look at the places I’m usually looking from and be somewhere where there isn’t much cell signal. Nice to front load the week with runs and a walk for Deborah’s RunBet.
- Wednesday: grateful for running. Grateful for a boss who didn’t mind my opting to run a little longer v. getting into work on time. 10K to try and focus the frazzled brain cells.
- Thursday: nice walk before work, enjoying the fall colors and burning off some energy/anxiety. Glad I got out, since I didn’t get for a run later.
- Friday: was off work and had time for a run on a beautiful summery fall day, but my head wasn’t in it so I called it good at 5K. This week/year, no judgement allowed. Everything just is. I met some friends for lunch and rather than an uber home at rush hour, opted for a shorter uber and a ferry from Clason Point. The route is stunning if a little strange as it takes you right past Rikers, but can’t have a better sunset than on the water.
- Saturday: the plan was to surprise mom for her bday. Bob ended up needing to tell Mom, but it was so good to all be together. It’s going to get more complicated with winter, but so glad the weather more than held out for my brother/family to come down too. And yes, we were twinning accidentally in masks. Calories don’t count when you’re celebrating and we had a delicious dinner at the restaurant where they got married (and are regulars).
- Sunday: my favorite thing to do when home-especially in fall-is run the Old Erie trail, and so I did. Shorts and a tee shirt in November, with relatively few people. Not COVID/mask related, just really treasured the peace and quiet. It was almost exactly a year ago I last ran to the train station, and my next plan is to go long in one direction and get picked up at the far end, because I want to know how far that trail has been maintained. Somehow I was hungry again and we went to brunch at one of my favorite diners to enjoy this stunning November weather before coming back home.
I am so glad that you got to have brunch with your mom for her birthday. I am sure she loved it! Way to front load your runbet sessions. Some weeks I am better at that than others! Have a good one!
I have the same issues with some good and some scrambles. I think it’s inevitable
How often do we get to be outdoors for our birthdays? Enjoy every second
so nice that you could celebrate your mom’s b-day in-person.
I wish my boss would be flexible with my start time but it is still easier to squeeze runs in when you work at home. Are you still working from home?
What a stressful week…glad that’s over. Those speeches were so emotional..
Hope our warm weather continues..at least until after next Sunday.
Still working from home. We have a soft start. 99% of the time I’m on line for 9a, so the occasional “x is more important” is OK as we typically don’t have meetings until 9:30 or so. Totally agree though about it being easier. I could not do normal i.e. no marathon long runs 80+ mile months without working from home
Me too on the weather. And yes, I cried ugly
Such pretty trails and I would totally run that rail trail to the end. If you have an option to ride back, all the better.
I love that you got to meet your mom and Bob for brunch. We’re discussing the holidays and it’s pretty tough–looks like a Zoom Thanksgiving for us. Between Lisa and my elderly parents and my FIL, it’s the only option this year. Sigh.
So different even from the road level trails. It’s definitely in the cards for next time. I think there might be a road break as where we later saw what I think is the same trail, it was on the opposite side of a state highway. It’s going to be fun to play detective to figure it out — and when I said call for a ride it made mom thrilled that I’d actually carry my phone which I’m not the best at.
Same here with the holidays – normally we go to my brother/SiLs, but that isn’t going to be safe. Mom, Bob and I think we have a plan, but I imagine it’s going to change eleventy thousand times because everything is so unpredictable. Hugs!
So glad you got to see your mom for her bday! Looks like you had some really nice scenery for your runs this week.
I so happy your family got to get together for your mom’s birthday. I’m sure she was thrilled!
Your pictures are lovely. It looks like it’s been a beautiful fall there as well. Have a great week!
I was very thankful for running this week too. Even more grateful than normal. It was one of the only things that got me away from the screen. So glad you had the chance to see your mom for her birthday. I am sure she was happy!
So glad that you were able to see your mom this weekend for her birthday!
I had way too much screen time last week so I will definitely be spending less time on my phone this week. It will be nice to have a mental break too.
Same here. I think the only thing that saved mine from being obscene (per Apple) is because I was mostly off it for chunks of Tuesday, Friday. Screen breaks can be so delicious.
Me too. So grateful always but especially this year
Awhhhh, HaPpY BiRtHdAy to your mom! Looks like you had all kinds of delish food for the celebration. I’d love to have a trail like that for running! The hubs and I just got home from our long ride (29 miles…in the wind LOL), but we were on a beautiful trail, so it still was a nice adventure.
Lovely pics and so glad you got family time and trail time!
I always love seeing your photos of the city!
I’m so happy that you got to celebrate your mom’s birthday in-person. Looks like it was quite a dinner!
That trail looks lovely – I think I would want to follow it to see how far it goes too.
Here’s hoping that this is a less stressful week ahead!
Sounds like an amazing week. So happy your mom got to celebrate her birthday with you all.
I may have spent a little more time reading news (not so much watching it), but I knew it would happen when it happened so I wasn’t glued to screens. I learned my lesson way back on 9/11, where every tv in the house was on for days. Just not good for me (we’re all different, of course).
It was a good week to get outside and enjoy the fall weather. Glad you got to be with your Mom to celebrate her birthday! Being outside always makes me hungry, so I’de definitely be all over that brunch too.
Stateline is wonderful – and evil – in that it’s impossible to choose what to order.
Sounds like a lovely week, with the exception of the Giants. For once, the Dolphins have been rocking it, but I do know the heartache (and my stepdad is a Giants fan so I hear about it LOL).
I still love all the gorgeous trails and pathways you find. I wish I had a little more variety here, but it is what it is.
I’m enjoying the success of Tua Time. It’s nice to see Miami doing well except for once every four years. I was happy to be in South Florida when the Giants played them last year as it meant I got to watch Manning’s last game.
Same. I think that’s why I appreciate them when I have the chance
How fun to go home and celebrate with your mom! SO glad the weather cooperated so you could fully enjoy that gorgeous trail! While I think my screen time is down a little, my coffee consumption for than makes up for it. Haha!
Happy Birthday to your mom!! So glad you were able to celebrate with her.
I laughed when you mentioned Rikers. I only know of it from watching “Law and Order”. 🙂
My screen time is down. Now I like to sit on the sofa or bed and read a book. I have a few that I need to finish before they’re due since I cannot renew them anymore. There are people waiting for them too.
Happy birthday to your Mom! That’s great you were able to celebrate with her. Love the twinning masks 🙂 Look at all of that delicious food! That’s great about a boss who doesn’t mind you coming in a little late due to a run. My boss is also a runner so he gets it too.