A wonderful week with friends, both running and non, as their summer & work travels brought them through the city. A whirlwind of many late nights, but wouldn’t trade it for a second.
- Never miss a Monday: two running weeks in a row, Kim, you’re rubbing off on me! Six miles after work and while I’m not one to complain about summer exiting stage right, but it’s heading toward dark too early to do six solo miles after work. The path is populated and lit, but considering I jumped sky high at a car backfire on the loop back, these will need to start earlier or come to an end. The run itself felt great. SiS lemon tablet, no gels or chews. Hungry toward the end but that was a factor of no afternoon snack due to meetings.
- Tuesday: a 23K step “rest” day as Darlene and I walked from the Little Red Lighthouse to the 79th St. Boat Basin.
- Wednesday: run group with a post-run birthday party for one of the coaches. The workout was a repeat of the lactate threshold one, although 2x 20m this time. I had my watch and for the latter portion, a partner. Overall pace was 11:09, which I was happy with. I’ve known this since our office run group, but a partner/pacer is a huge help for me. Also, a help, not being hungry post-run so the cake wasn’t tempting.
- Thursday: I am so glad Darlene’s work travel brings her here so we can get together so often. This was a year to the day from when we first met. We walked to meet up with Elizabeth – have I mentioned lately how many great people SkirtStports has introduced me to? – for a chat by the water and then we headed off on a short sunset walk/run. A beautiful evening.
- Friday: Giants game and a trip up the river to Katonah to see a friend for our annual lunch date. Late late night which was poor planning ahead of long run, but life goes on.
- Saturday: 14 miles! Summer Streets down and back and then a loop of Central Park up to the 102nd Street transverse. I have to say, this felt good. It wasn’t too sunny so for the second week in a row I could ditch the hat. I prefer the Buff, but really can’t wait until my hair is long enough for a ponytail. It was faster than my first fourteen miler, but that was also a factor of some wonky GPS in midtown as I did not run a sub10 minute mile at the eight mile mark. I went out ahead of the group as I knew I’d be doing this solo anyway and had plans to meet my college roommate and her kids in Westchester. The group passed me as we entered Central Park. Three podcasts: Marathon Training Academy’s Ask The Coach + Road Trip, Running Rogue’s NYC Marathon Race Planning, and MTA’s Running Outside the Comfort Zone with Susan Lacke, which I’d started in Stowe. Podcasts are the best for a long run and Aftershokz allowed me to hear Rachel call my name when she spotted me. I loved SummerStreets for the Nuun stations and the samples they handed out which allowed me to flavor my water when I refilled in Central Park. It was super humid, but manageable. I bought the belt that Kim recommended last week and although I used my disposable bottle more, it was good for Nuun sample storage. Also took two (orange, lemon lime SiS gels. Day finished with spending time with my godson and his sister and then dinner with friends. I so needed a nap.
- Sunday: off running, but Yankee game will mean steps.
Week’s mileage: 26.46
Total in marathon training: 167.11
Plan for the Week:
- Monday: run?
- Tuesday: off
- Wednesday: rogue
- Thursday: off/cross
- Friday: off
- Saturday: 16!!