coming up on my fourth running anniversary (!!), I have a runfession… I was a fair weather runner.
I never really thought that because it wasn’t that I didn’t run if it was too hot/cold, but rather I escaped to the gym. This summer, that wasn’t an option and this winter I’m not ready to go back so the choice was run or not and… I’m running in all weather and it’s fine. You adapt, adjust. I think it’s because I just really want to run, would be different if I weren’t loving running right now.
Second runfession…I never understood the appeal of Smart Wool. Even before I was running, I was given a pair as a gift and they’re still in their packaging. I’m not a sweater wearer, and didn’t understand the appeal of them on my feet. I think you can see where this is going, especially if you saw my snow pics on Instagram.
My wonderful Elf gave me a pair of Balega Natural Fiber Performance and I opted to try those knowing Thursday would be a slush fest en route to the less-trafficked park and… many puddles later my feet were warm, dry and I ordered three more pairs. Yes, a chunk of my holiday shopping has been for me, myself and I, why do you ask… ;-D
It really is all about the clothes, not the weather.
Despite my comment about the Grinch last week, it kind of caught me by surprise that Christmas is less than a week away. Ooops. Like everything else this year it feels anticlimactic. Merry Christmas to those celebrating in whatever form it looks like this year.
- planned missed Monday due to running Saturday and Sunday. Complete soaker of a day so the choice was a wise one. Some nice mail in hand-made masks I’d ordered arrived. Bottom right ended up accidentally on brand for the week.
- Tuesday: late start, but I wanted to run because I knew I had another marathon day of meetings so I got in a quick southern loop. Wonder now if this tree still has any leaves. Schedule worked too to take a short walk after work to do some errands. Nice to see my neighborhood get in the spirit, and of course laugh at this PT sign. With so many of us in PT this year it was just fitting.
- Wednesday: sleep? What’s sleep? had about two hours and took advantage of that for a sunrise walk before Winter Storm Gail arrived. My insomnia hasn’t been as bad as others of late, but when it’s there, it’s THERE. Luckily the day wasn’t too heavy and I was able to duck out after some meetings to take in the first snow.
- Thursday: SNOW DAY! Well, no, we’re working from home, but I’d already requested the day as PTO so it was a snow day for me. I waited for it to mostly stop snowing and then I went out to have some fun. A run? Sort of? Really just enjoyed every second of playing in the snow. My feet weren’t an issue at all and wearing leggings, Cuddl Dudds base layer and my new Brooks ugly sweater (last year’s was more fun), I was fine. I really think the difference is getting out the door and running, v. standing around and waiting for a race to start. Yep, I still don’t particularly miss races. I briefly contemplated the NYRR Founders Run celebrating Ted Corbitt & Fred Lebow, but it’s in Brooklyn and I’m not yet taking subways. I still don’t see myself going out in a soaking rain, but we’ll see how the winter shakes out.
- Friday: off, errands and a book. Nothing exciting, exactly what I wanted in a day off.
- Saturday: after Thursday’s fun I was eager to get back out and play in the snow again. My route was all over the place as I ran on road (clear, boring), the bridle path (snowy, but not packed), reservoir (well packed, thanks skiiers!) and great lawn (mostly clear) taking in a gorgeous Saturday in the park. My quads were feeling it in the muscles required to stay upright, but I think my PT has paid off as I never really felt unsteady. I had no plan as I’m still not really training, but 6 ish felt good so 6 ish it was. Unlike last week I wasn’t willing to stay out after dark due to the ice.
- Sunday: errands. Maybe a walk. Football.