Felt a little under the weather for the beginning of the week. Nothing worrisome, just winter bug so kind of went by feel until I felt better, which I very much do now. I also realized that like with homework, running goes better on a deadline: 9a dentist appointment, get out the door; snow tomorrow? I’ll run tonight. Without that? ehh I’ll linger until it’s warmer, or maybe run tomorrow. I continue to not use the snow as a reason not to run, which I’m really proud of myself about, and was a little better about getting outside every day.
Words of wisdom from Peloton’s Matty Maggiacomo: inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit. I am shocked I’ve made it through two weeks of enCORE28. Not because I can’t (although my abs currently hate me, even with some modifications), but because I’ve never been consistent in strength training even with Marcia’s amazing videos. It’s also been a gateway into finding other Peloton workouts. Regardless of whether I finish the challenge, I’m going to call that a goal met.
If you’d said five years ago I’d love running, I’d have said you were nuts. Fast forward to this crazy year and I’m so grateful for this outlet. Snow running is most definitely #Cozy. Can’t believe this event was two years ago today. Thank you for your time @isabelgillies pic.twitter.com/F52DYvnpQb
— travellingcari (@travellingcari) February 12, 2021
I’ve said this a few times over quarantime, but the anniversary of the Cozy author talk on the eve of the 11-month work from home day, it hit home. I cannot fathom getting through this year without running as an outlet and without all of you. xx
This was from last Sunday’s gorgeous walk through the Park as it was snowing. Sometimes walk pace is much more fun, and hard to get any more gorgeous.
- I missed a Monday: I woke up with a slightly dodgy stomach from eating too much/too late during the Super Bowl. That, coupled with it being 17 / wind chill 8 and a sore glute / hip from how I slept led to a (wise) decision to go back to sleep. Stomach was fine by lunch and I got in a quick walk after work when it was a balmy 20. Missing this Monday for the second week in a row really threw off my running routine though. Such a creature of habit.
- Tuesday? Mattysday! I had a dentist appointment that I ran to and from with Matty Maggiacomo’s Lady Gaga & Hamilton runs. The streets were luckily plowed and it’s hard to be unhappy with good music. Still was swearing at him with an evil evil enCORE28 class. When the hygeinist checked my files we realized it was one day off my 11 year anniversary so I asked for a “bonus”. Really I just wanted another travel tooth paste, but I came away with a nice haul. Haven’t bought toothbrushes since I started going to him, and always nice to have back up floss for times like last spring when floss picks could not be found.
- Wacky Wednesday: I wasn’t going to run two days in a row, and then I saw the forecast for snow overnight and knew Thursday morning would be too slick. Short on time, I decided to run the river, which I hadn’t since the snow started. This is pretty much why. Wasn’t so much a run as a penguin waddle with spurts of running where it was clear. It was really about getting outside after a long screen heavy day, and it was great.
- Thursday: something about falling snow that gets me out the door. We just got a dusting and it made for a nice 2-3 mile walk to start the day off right.
- Friday: I was torn on this run. Skipping it would mean twice in one week having two days between runs, but doing it would make getting back on Monday, Weds, Thurs, Saturday routine harder. I know having two days off between runs doesn’t matter, but I am a creature of habit and love this routine I’ve gotten into for consistency. It’s also one of the few things I can control in this year. I ended up getting out for a few miles ending in my happy place, which was where I was reflecting on running being “Cozy”. I so love winter running. As always, once I got out I was so happy I did.
- Saturday: about that deadline thing. I was “going any minute” for a run all morning and early afternoon. Suddenly at 3 it was a scramble because I needed to: drop off laundry, get a return label printed, and drop off the package at the post office before the latter closed at four. I wasn’t sure I wanted to run and said I’d at least run to the post office and back. I was so sure I wasn’t running any distance that I didn’t even take water. I’m pretty sure the dip into CVS for water once the fresh air invigorated me was responsible for my Garmin deciding to kiss a building a few avenues east. Ended up somewhere around seven using all my stabilizing muscles on the reservoir and bridle path. Way more fun than paved roads! While it’s much warmer here than those of you in the midwest, it’s still nippy. Mask upside? Face gets less cold.
Fun sight on a cold, overcast day. Dear running, will you be my Valentine? pic.twitter.com/rItZPJWWSm
— travellingcari (@travellingcari) February 13, 2021
- Sunday: I think I see the sun! Going for a walk.