so… remember that mileage I planned to pick up in April or May or maybe Q3? I did. In March!
My March totals:
- 365,682 steps
- 151.93 miles walked
- 64.55 miles biked
HoLY SHIT. This is my best month ever and one of only two above 350K steps. That was about 11,800 steps/day and included 31 straight days (27 Feb-29 March) in which I hit 10K+ each day. While I fizzled out the last two days, 13K today is a good start to April /Q2. I ended up a little short on the bike, but I’m OK with that.
- 927,589 steps
- 384.45 miles walked
- 221.53 miles biked
Yep, I exceeded my revised bike goal even with falling short in March. I hit 102.52% of my #GoTheDist mileage goal and I like being at par/slight cushion going into two less than ideal for walking months (travel). Very proud of myself so far in 2015
That said, #GoTheDist goals for April:
- 283,000 steps (personal goal, 300K but remaining reasonable due to travel)
- 117 miles walked
- 75 miles on the bike
- 850,000 steps
- 375 miles walked
- 150 miles biked
The latter represents a decrease but hopefully one that correlates with walking home more. I may revise it if I hit April goals.
On to Q2
“Why are you beating yourself up? You know you always bounce back.” ~ @FatGirlvsWorld, #GotheDist fearless leader
This was the end of a two-day freak out during which I was worrying about not hitting my January 2015 #GoTheDist steps goal due to the impending Juno-pocalypse. After a slow start to January with some sub 5K step days, I was bouncing back, and then snowpocalypse. Snowed in. Office closed. MTA down. A “pocalypse” of first world problems indeed.
And then Juno missed NYC while walloping New England and I ended up with almost 9K steps on a walk through the frozen tundra that made up Central Park. My handy spreadsheet tells me I need 42,280 steps (not yet counting today’s) the next four days to hit that goal and 44,280 to hit mine. Doable? I think/hope so but I’m not going to be able to bank any for February where 283/285K is a mathematical impossibility. Pooey.
But January wasn’t all bad. On the #GoTheDist front I:
- switched to RunKeeper and MyFitnessPal (from MapMyFitness and LoseIt, respectively) and am so happy with both. Much better apps. The “Map” family didn’t age well into the mobile era and the “new” os8 LoseIt was just awful. I was tired of paying for Fitbit integration and didn’t care much for the challenges or fora
- I have been to the gym 12x for a total of 76.56 miles on the bike. My goal was only 33! so I’ll be revising that for Q1 this weekend.
- My Jan 2014 (Jawbone) totals were 185,545 steps/80.3 miles walked/69.3 miles walked and I’ve beat those. For me that’s what #GoTheDist is about so I’m happy.
On a reading front I:
- Have read 8 books for the A-Z Challenge and six of the eight are non-fiction. Also, 8 books in January is a good start to the year.
So maybe I should stop freaking out. FGvW probably is right.
sometimes I swear 31-day months are harder to get steps in than 30 day months. I think it definitely has to do with the perceived cushion of the extra day.
- 301,135 steps
- 124.04 miles walked
It wasn’t easy. I set a mini goal of not ever falling on the wrong side of 10K steps needed per day, but it happened due to some traveling and two days with fewer than 4K steps. But two walking tours helped me, including 12K steps in a ghost tour on Halloween. I entered the home stretch of this past week needing 11K+ steps/day to get 300K and I finished strong:
- October 27 – 11,629
- October 28 – 10,991
- October 29 – 11,804
- October 30 – 11,094
- October 31 – 12,359
I’m fewer than 450K steps and 76/176 miles from my Q4 goals leaving both very doable. I’m going to keep to my optimistic goals (275K steps, 100 miles) for November as I believe they’re attainable and will give me cushion against a December full of work/vacation/holidays. I know I may not see another 300K month until March, but I’m OK with that.
On to November…
where on earth has 2014 gone. Seriously.
- 850,000 steps
- 375 miles walked
- 35 miles biked
- 316,214 steps
- 136.02 miles walked
- 4.4 miles biked
- 887,280 steps
- 370.75 miles walked
- 28.96 miles biked
That’s not bad at all. I didn’t realize I was ultimately so close to the mileage, but I’m honestly not sure I could have found another mile a day this last crazy week, so I’ll take it. I rebounded from an expectedly bad July with a strong August and solid September. I’m proud of myself and I’ll take it. Still need to get better about the gym though.
My official Q4 goal is 200 miles. What I need to hit to finish the year (1100 miles) is: 85 miles. Seriously. I’m at 1014 and I set my goal as 1,100. Yeah, blowing that up
So with an eye to Q4 2013 (642,067 // 269.51 // 55.16), I’m setting my Q4 goals as:
- Steps: 750,000
- Mileage: 300
Those also align well with my 2014 Q1 numbers when accounting for the lost data and weather hell.
after a renewed interest in bridges of late, I have been on a mission. By borough I have crossed as follows:
Bronx to Manhattan:
- Macombs Dam Bridge in May 2013
Manhattan to Brooklyn:
- Brooklyn Bridge: more times then I can count, also via bike
- Manhattan Bridge: June 2014
- Williamsburg Bridge: Summer 2013
Manhattan to Bronx:
Queens to Manhattan:
- Queensboro Bridge, June 2014
- GW Bridge and back, July 2013
- Wards Island Pedestrian Bridge, May 2013
- Triboro (Randalls Island to Manhattan)
That’s all the major bridges with the exception of the Henry Hudson since there’s no pedestrian access on the Verrazano and the High Bridge has not yet re-opened. I really don’t have an interest in walking to the Rockaways so those are out.
What’s my next Great Manhattan Loop related goal? Riverside Drive! I’ve done it up as far as 125th St. but time to do the northern spur that I skipped in favor of a riverside walk two years ago.
About halfway through May I realized that 300,000 steps for the month was doable after just missing it. And then I became a woman on a mission to make it happen. I wasn’t sure if I had since I was away from my spreadsheet but after entering Weds-Sat… I MADE IT!
- 305, 841 steps
- 125.05 miles walked
- 21.09 miles on the bike
- 604,663 steps
- 248.49 miles walked
- 21.09 miles on the bike
- 1,198,375 steps
- 499.42 miles walked
- 124.9 miles on the bike
I’m pretty damn happy with that. Check that, very damn happy. I’m 100 miles shy of my official GTD goal and 150 shy of my personal. While those are a little iffy depending on weather, I’m less than 100K steps from my steps goals. I’m doubly excited as June is the first month where I’ll have year on year steps data. [2013 data: 315,031 steps, 132.24 miles walked and 50.1 miles on the bike].
Yep, I’m going to have to bust my hump to get this… but isn’t that what goals are for?
Totals for April:
- 298,822 steps
- 123.44 miles walked
Personal Q2 goals, you are well in sight. As is the official #GoTheDist goal of 350 miles walked.
If I’d realized how close I was to 300K steps or 125 miles walked this month I’d have figured out a way to get them. But this is still very good. Thank you this past weekend!
my Jawbone apparently celebrated my two millionth step a little too hard last Friday, because now it’s dead. Utterly and totally toast.
So I went out and got what I wanted back in May: the Fitbit Flex.
I will have lost 3.5 days of data (midday Monday – Thurs PM), but no real idea on how it will affect my #GoTheDist data in terms of strides, etc. Will keep an eye on it and revise Q2 if needed.
and at 36.55 miles biked (28.87 in December!) I’m 15.95 miles from my goal of 52.5 miles on the bike.
Can I do it? I don’t know, but I think so. I wish my gym was closer to go this weekend, but I think I can go Monday and Tuesday.
Walking wise, I’m all set. Goal was 102.7 miles and I’m at 256.01! Wow. New mini goal, beat November’s mileage. I don’t think weather will cooperate to hit October’s 99.11 miles, but 83 is within sight as I’m at 73.8 miles through yesterday.
At the beginning of September I said my newest goal was to do better Q3 than Q2 I knew it was going to be a tall order with some long walks this spring, but I thought I could do it. Well Q3 ended this week, how did I do?
|Totals for 3Q
|Totals for 2Q
|Totals for 1Q
I did it!
Skin of my teeth, but I DID IT.
Time to finish the year out strong. Here are my Q4 #GoTheDist mini goals:
- get to the gym more often. That 31 miles biked is indicative of a larger problem. Walking is good, but so is the gym. I need to find a balance between the two. I think this will come somewhat naturally with the changing weather not being as conducive to walking home.
- Do better than Q1. This is weather driven, Jan-Mar are about as conducive to walking as Oct-December, especially since work is busier than the fall. Q1 was somewhat undercounted, when I got the Jawbone I realized I walked more in a given day than I gave myself credit for so this should be easy.
- Numerical goals, I was going to say one third better than my poorest showing for each total, but 82 miles seems too little. So 2/3 better it is. 102.7 miles walking and 52.5 miles on the bike. I’m hoping I’ve hit both by the end of November, but we’ll see.
** didn’t get the Jawbone Up until May, so no steps until then