Well I knew February was going to be a challenge, and it was. But two strong days on the last two days of the month made it better than I hoped/expected.
- 276,898 steps
- 114.9 miles walked
- 75.44 miles biked
- 561,907 steps
- 232.52 miles walked
- 156.98 miles biked
I’m a little off track, but Q1 is still within range. To hit those goals I need to achieve the following in March.
- 288,093 steps
- 142.48 miles walked (not sure about that one, but I know I can pick up in Qs 2 and 3)
- 43.02 miles biked
As it’s a 31 day month, I”m comfortable in steps. I’m going to maintain the bike goal at 75 miles, which I hit this month. This will continue to put me ahead of pace for the revised goal, while still being attainable due to work commitments.
On to March…
my final January totals are:
- 285,009 steps
- 117.62 miles walked
- 81.54 miles biked
I’m most proud of the biking goal because it represents a return to the gym which was something I really wanted to do. 13 gym visits. Also ahead of pace to get my gym reimbursement.
Re: steps, to hit the 3.4m goal, I need 283,333.333 steps month and am glad for that slight excess as I’ll be short in Feb. The math just doesn’t work for a 28 day month. I’m a bit off pace for mileage, but I think I can make that up in Qs 2 and 3. I may have some issues due to a long-haul train trip in May but I’ll try to get back ahead in April to get ahead of that.
I think the only change I’m going to make for my 2015 goals is revise bike goal up to 500 miles. I’m going to leave Qs 2/3/4 mini goals at 100 as I likely won’t go to the gym as much in nice weather. So February monthly goal is 75 miles and Q2 is 200.
Time to do this.
“Why are you beating yourself up? You know you always bounce back.” ~ @FatGirlvsWorld, #GotheDist fearless leader
This was the end of a two-day freak out during which I was worrying about not hitting my January 2015 #GoTheDist steps goal due to the impending Juno-pocalypse. After a slow start to January with some sub 5K step days, I was bouncing back, and then snowpocalypse. Snowed in. Office closed. MTA down. A “pocalypse” of first world problems indeed.
And then Juno missed NYC while walloping New England and I ended up with almost 9K steps on a walk through the frozen tundra that made up Central Park. My handy spreadsheet tells me I need 42,280 steps (not yet counting today’s) the next four days to hit that goal and 44,280 to hit mine. Doable? I think/hope so but I’m not going to be able to bank any for February where 283/285K is a mathematical impossibility. Pooey.
But January wasn’t all bad. On the #GoTheDist front I:
- switched to RunKeeper and MyFitnessPal (from MapMyFitness and LoseIt, respectively) and am so happy with both. Much better apps. The “Map” family didn’t age well into the mobile era and the “new” os8 LoseIt was just awful. I was tired of paying for Fitbit integration and didn’t care much for the challenges or fora
- I have been to the gym 12x for a total of 76.56 miles on the bike. My goal was only 33! so I’ll be revising that for Q1 this weekend.
- My Jan 2014 (Jawbone) totals were 185,545 steps/80.3 miles walked/69.3 miles walked and I’ve beat those. For me that’s what #GoTheDist is about so I’m happy.
On a reading front I:
- Have read 8 books for the A-Z Challenge and six of the eight are non-fiction. Also, 8 books in January is a good start to the year.
So maybe I should stop freaking out. FGvW probably is right.
And I ran out of room in that post…
- Steps: 3,400,000 steps
- Miles Walked: 1,500
- Miles Biked: 400
and some explanation:
- I really wanted my steps goal to be 300,000/month but I’m really not sure that’s attainable in shorter months and don’t want to fall short of my goal. I actually think 3,500,000 might be achievable but not sure on the math so 3.4m it is. This works out to ~283K/month.
- Miles walked: I like this number and I think it’s achievable. No wizardry
- Bike: this seems to be in line with an increase over 2013 (335.83) where I had a reasonable year at the gym. In order to get gym reimbursement I need to go 100x/year (50/6 months) and I average between 4-5m when I go, so I think this is reasonable.
Now to set up my spreadsheet…
Despite starting 2015 with a day of complete sloth, I’m very proud of myself.
Totals for December:
- 269,271 steps
- 110.97 miles walked
- 31.99 miles biked
Totals for Q4
- 826,110 steps
- 340.76 miles walked
- 31.99 miles biked
Totals for 2014
- 3,262,378 steps
- 1355.08 miles walked
- 200.09 miles biked
Nope, the bike didn’t get over 200 on purpose because if it had I would have gotten December (and therefore Q4) to 32. But it did start a good trend that I hope to continue and improve in 2015.
How did I do vis-a-vis my 2014 goals?
- Meet or exceed my #GoTheDist goals. Done
- Specifically, exceed my Q4 2013 GTD totals. Done
- I’m not sure LoseIt’s 147 days is realistic, but 2014 is the last year I will start overweight. Not done. But I’m in a place where I’ve set steps to make this happen for 2015 so I’m OK with this.
- Learn to cook. I’m already laughing at myself for this one, but I really wish I could. I think it would make some food choices better. This isn’t goin to happen, but as part of a general saving money effort, I’m going back to bringing lunch and may try to incorporate cooking.
- Get back to a regular gym schedule. It sounds cliche, but I feel good when I go. So I need to GO. Not done. But I’m in a place where I’ve set steps to make this happen for 2015 so I’m OK with this. See below for more detail.
- Relax. Keep doing what I did last year. It (mostly) worked and I’m on the right track. Done
So on to 2015
I’m really making it the year of me and want to be better about going to the gym. I have a new app (Runkeeper) and some non numeric goals. But I also want to keep up walking. Decisions, decisions. While rereading posts here to find some reasonable gym/biking goals (see below) I remembered mini goals help me so back to that.
Some thoughts/mini goals:
- The 3,262,378 steps is an average of nearly 275K steps per month. That’s amazing considering a few months where I really struggled. Mileage wise that works out to nearly 113 miles which is about what I figured. My personal goals were 1100 miles and 2.5m steps so I am more than thrilled with that.
- My spreadsheet was a great in motivating me to walk more. So I’m doing it again in 2015
- I want to finish C25K. I don’t think it will happen, but I want to try it again.
- I want to hit my goal weight. I’ve finally set one to make that happen. Not sure yet if I’m going to stick with LoseIt or go back to Weight Watchers. My target date is December 31, 2015 but I think I might be able to hit it sooner.
- Achievmint is great bribery.
- Speaking of bribery and money, in addition to spending money at the gym and not going, I’m missing on the gym reimbursement from work so I’m going to the gym 100x this year.
On to 2015 goals….
Who says a week of sloth at the beach isn’t a wonderful thing. Sometime during the week I:
- destroyed my 2014 reading goal. At 52 as of today with one in the works and other likely to come. And then 7 unfinished. Good run in 2014.
- Miles: beat my personal and #GoTheDist Q4 goals, My December #GoTheDist goal
- Steps: On track for 250K and maybe even 275K steps.
Life is Good.
Skin of my teeth.
My tiered goals for November were: 250/275/300K steps and 100 miles.
November totals*? 255,599 steps and 105.71 miles.
Never stressed so hard for 250, although July was close. But I did it. Thanks to some temperate weather days.
*Subject to minor additions as I putter around the apartment
Totals for Q4 so far: 556,734 steps // 229.75 miles. Well on track for 750K // 300 miles that was my Q4 goal. To be honest? I don’t know that 250K is going to happen in December due to work, weather and travel, but I’m going to try. My tiered goals are 225/250/275K although I’ll be tickled pink with hitting 250. Keeping mileage at 100 even though I only need 70+. 100 may be iffy but we’ll see.
Now to think about 2015. Steps wise and book wise. I’m at 43/45! 2014 has been good for goals. Well, some. I still haven’t hit Goal.
sometimes I swear 31-day months are harder to get steps in than 30 day months. I think it definitely has to do with the perceived cushion of the extra day.
- 301,135 steps
- 124.04 miles walked
It wasn’t easy. I set a mini goal of not ever falling on the wrong side of 10K steps needed per day, but it happened due to some traveling and two days with fewer than 4K steps. But two walking tours helped me, including 12K steps in a ghost tour on Halloween. I entered the home stretch of this past week needing 11K+ steps/day to get 300K and I finished strong:
- October 27 – 11,629
- October 28 – 10,991
- October 29 – 11,804
- October 30 – 11,094
- October 31 – 12,359
I’m fewer than 450K steps and 76/176 miles from my Q4 goals leaving both very doable. I’m going to keep to my optimistic goals (275K steps, 100 miles) for November as I believe they’re attainable and will give me cushion against a December full of work/vacation/holidays. I know I may not see another 300K month until March, but I’m OK with that.
On to November…
where on earth has 2014 gone. Seriously.
- 850,000 steps
- 375 miles walked
- 35 miles biked
- 316,214 steps
- 136.02 miles walked
- 4.4 miles biked
- 887,280 steps
- 370.75 miles walked
- 28.96 miles biked
That’s not bad at all. I didn’t realize I was ultimately so close to the mileage, but I’m honestly not sure I could have found another mile a day this last crazy week, so I’ll take it. I rebounded from an expectedly bad July with a strong August and solid September. I’m proud of myself and I’ll take it. Still need to get better about the gym though.
My official Q4 goal is 200 miles. What I need to hit to finish the year (1100 miles) is: 85 miles. Seriously. I’m at 1014 and I set my goal as 1,100. Yeah, blowing that up
So with an eye to Q4 2013 (642,067 // 269.51 // 55.16), I’m setting my Q4 goals as:
- Steps: 750,000
- Mileage: 300
Those also align well with my 2014 Q1 numbers when accounting for the lost data and weather hell.
I’ve finally found the sweet spot between my #GoTheDist goal being a challenge, but an attainable one. I knew that July would be bad, and it was. But I set two goals and I made one of two. The goal was 250K steps and I ended up with 260,908. Mileage goal was 117 and I ended up with 107.44. As good as my typical 300/125? No, but I pushed myself and did it.
August was more of the same with time away and travel time, but I thought I could do it and barring an apocalypse tomorrow, I will.
I set goals of 300,000 steps and 125 miles and I’m currently at 298,454 and 122.49. It wasn’t easy, I spent the end of a few vacation days at the gym and had to push myself to get off the couch on other days, but that’s what a goal should be.
Here’s to closing out Q3 in style…. and getting back to losing. And more reading, 28/40.