Because that is really all I did this week. I keep saying I need to get back to my morning walks, and maybe one day I really will. On the book front: Daniel Silva The Cellist (review TK this week), Stephen King/Richard Chizmar’s Gwendy’s Button Box, Gwendy’s Magic Feather and Kevin Chapman’s Fatal Infraction. Mysteries are like unplanned walking early in a run, you just know it’s going to turn into a walk. Nothing wrong with either and summer is designed for light books.
Sunday’s sunset (top) was a sign of things to come, sky wise, for the week, but it capped an excellent day where I not only got Dairy Queen (yay!) but two dresses (blue and black dots). I know, who am I?! I also loved this installation at Pier 17, memories of writing that in yearbooks in simpler times.
Saw this in a store window display and couldn’t help but giggle. Outing myself as the 80s child I am as we had a pogo ball, pogo stick and of course a skip bo! Anyone else?
Paging Smokey the Bear: I do not remember skies this bad this far east in a very long time. This was as bad as Denver in 2017 and much further from the fires! Floods and heat waves in Europe, North America on fire, but Bezos and Branson can go to space. The world is just fine.
Weekly Run Down with Deborah and Kim:
- never miss a Monday: I know I ran, since I wasn’t thinking about how I hadn’t, but without looking at Strava, I have no idea. 5 miles in much better weather than Saturday.
- Tuesday: the worst of the fire skies and I barely even got out for a walk. A really good book was a part of that too as I decided I’d rather read than walk in the morning. Missed the text to play, but watched the last couple of innings and still made the team photo.
- Wednesday: while the skies cleared after some midday rain, the run in the morning was brutal humidity and air quality wise. I took it easy and just kept moving.
- Thursday: oh what a difference a day makes. Office run group, and the humidity had finally broken after what felt like a month. We did our loop and when I got to my park exit, I decided I wanted to keep running, so I did. Ended up with a total of 8.5 amazing feeling miles as I meandered around the Great Lawn and reservoir. A picture perfect evening. I never got into the mid week long runs when marathon training and don’t see them as a regular thing, but this was fun. It’s insane how much a difference the weather makes.
- Friday: another gorgeous, low humidity day and I decided to take advantage of our summer Friday hours and SVU filming nearby and go explore. You’re not allowed to take photos of scenes filming, but it was just fun to watch all the buzz and what it takes to put together literally one scene. I hung out until the moody skies turned to rain and then headed home and read on my stoop until I became mosquito food again. A wonderful summer day.
- Saturday: I was so excited to run. After weeks of wanting to run but dreading the humidity, this was straight up excitement at planned temps in the high 60s at 6am. It was a little more humid, but still absolutely magic and I decided to go for the route I mapped last Friday to try and find the Riverside Park goats. I didn’t, but I think I know where they are for next time. It was an amazing run as Harlem woke up, and I’m not sure I’ve run crosstown since the tune up for the Bronx 10m when we ran from Yankee Stadium to the Run Center.. Crack is Wack wasn’t on my route, but it was a quick detour which I was glad to make as I hadn’t seen it since it was restored, and am not sure I’ve been there in person since my first visit. Since I’d veered north, I decided to skip the business of 125th and as a result, I had some unexpected finds including Collyer Brothers Park, which I’d read about but didn’t know precisely where it was. As I made my way northwest, I thought about a couple other possible long ish routes for summer and fall. Life is good when running is fun. As a bonus, I ran into Rogue as they were headed north and I was running south along the Hudson. Nice to see one of my old coaches after such a long time. Rest of the day was some strength work, sushi lunch and two books while crashed on a park bench. Simple days.
- lazy Sunday: catch up on blogs, straighten apartment (aka put away four weeks of laundry). Maybe a walk if it stops raining. We need off days.
So glad you’ve had such a good running week in the end (and reading week!). Of course it was my turn for the heatwave and I did almost nothing, but got back onto it this weekend.
this weather trade off is just the worst. Glad we both finally got some relief
I did love all the memes comparing Jeff Bezos to Dr Evil, lol. His phallic rocket ship, his evil laugh at the press conference…yep, everything is fine when you can spend billions to go to space and thank your employees and customers for paying for it! :p
I agree with you… we need off days and I’m taking a much needed one today. I’m pooped!
You had an amazing vacation, plus the leg. Not surprised at all you needed one.
Yep, no plastic straws but space tourism is fne. Dr. Evil indeed
I also need to get my daily walks back but honestly, it’s too hot right now to enjoy them. I am about 100 pages into the Silva book. How do you read so fast? You definitely need a day off! Hope you have a great week ahead
The weather really does make such a difference! I had a very similar experience with my Saturday run. Sometimes I forget how much the humidity is effecting me until it finally cools off.
Yup, we definitely do need off days! Aside from the humidity earlier in the week (and today) it was a nice week weather-wise. Glad to see that you got to enjoy that!
Any day with sushi in it is a good day in my books. 🙂
It’s always fun to run into old running friends!
Great week of running! And, yes days off are necessary!
I have been addicted to Diane Chamberlain books – very light and always a twist atthe end.
The best day for running was yesterday and I went boating because today was a race-
unfortunately it was not one to remember and I wondered why I do run…
but I was in Saratoga Park and it was beautiful after the race…so it did have a silver lining.
I was pleasantly surprised with the weather this past week. Although we had thunderstorm watches almost everyday, it only rained for a short period of time yesterday. I would also love to get back to my lunchtime walk breaks. I always say I’m going to do it but then I get caught up doing something for work.
A pogo stick sounds like a lot of fun right about now, and I think it would be a good cardio workout. Peloton should look into this, lol.
Wow, you power through the books! Impressive. And a great week of running too!
I had a lovely day off this week. They are important.
That top photo is stunning! LOL on those blast-from-the-past toys. The good ones don’t go away, they just get new packaging. ;-). I’m slogging my way through The Other Black Girl hoping it will get good soon …. After that I’ll be ready for a good thriller.
You read four books this week??? I’m impressed- and envious. A week spent running and reading is my idea of heaven. Sounds like you had a great week and are making the most of your summer!
I may be treating myself to an Off Day tomorrow…we’ll see how things feel when I get out of bed. I’m loving the eerie red sunrises recently…just wish I could totally capture their grandeur on my phone camera.
Okay, I know I’m not showing my age for the first time, but… I know what a pogo stick is, but have no idea what the other two pogo items do. LOL
Oh wow! All the running! And all the reading! I love it!
You had some fantastic weather, too. I would love some days in the 60s. This week, I’m going further north, and it’s going to be ten degrees hotter. Tell me how that’s a thing!
I am always in support of Dairy Queen.
Way to knock out that mid-week 8.5! Impressive says the girl who loves 3 milers. Haha! Jelly of your break in the humidity. Nothing of the sort here. Although summer will be gone way too soon so I won’t complain. Your day off sounds fab. I am off tomorrow! WooHoo!
How fun about the SVU filming!! So what happens if you do take pictures? Ugh, on those guys going to space! Is that a guy/ego thing? So stupid and such a waste of money.