I’m history! No, I’m mythology! Nah, I don’t care what I am. I’m free-hee! ~Genie
Celebrity** deaths don’t generally affect me too much. Usually by the end of the news cycle, their death has slipped my mind. That wasn’t true for Robin Williams who has remained unique in that respect-and I suspect he may be joined by Luke Perry. Williams’ movies, Perry’s Dylan McKay. <3 RIP Luke Perry, 52 is way too young to die.
I’m avoiding the obvious: unlimited funds, vacation days to run all the races and weekends with long run weather. Those seem about as concrete as wishing for world peace. Lofty, but not realistic in terms of a wish list.
So in no particular order, my non-Unicorn requests for the running Genie:
- for New Balance to stop changing the shoes. While the Achilles injury wasn’t a result of shoe model changing, I didn’t have a third pair of Vongo 2s and it’s nerve wracking to find a shoe that works while your gait is muddled for other reasons. I hate worrying if a shoe is going to cause me pain.
- Tights for short people or 5/8 pants in more brands. I’m teenie. I’d like more than three full length tights options, all of which are folded over in a “hem”
- A healthy and solid training cycle for the marathon. I don’t think this is a unicorn. I think I’m building the base for it in PT and with the runs I can get in now, I just hope it pays off and I’m able to complete the sixteen week cycle. It’s going to be a fun journey.
Darlene and I talked about this prompt as we got in a sunset walk. I don’t really have a wish list as much as I have a race bucket list. I see these as different as a wish list is out of my immediate control whereas a bucket list is doable with some planning. So bucket list cities/races:
- Myrtle Beach Half: 2020 maybe. Friends have talked about it and it seems to be a great time of year (1st weekend in March) before the weather gets too bad. Have local friends so could be fun weekend away.
- Space Coast Half: could be a fun birthday-adjacent getaway. I loved this part of Florida when mom & I stopped there en route to St. Augustine a few years ago.
- A race in a foreign country. I’ve run in four so far, but no races. I have to think on this as I don ‘t always prioritize timing vacations around races, but this would be fun.
My number one non-running bucket list is to see all fifty states before I turn 50. It’s doable.
- Do you differentiate between a wish list and a bucket list?
- What’s one thing on your non-running wish and/or bucket list?
- Is there a celebrity or other person you never met whose death stuck with you?
** For me this means TV/movie celebrity. Other famous people’s have stuck. Princess Diana and Mickey Mantle for two. For her, I spent most of my freshman year of college writing about her in various classes. Still remember exactly where I was (bowling alley) when we learned of her accident. And Mickey Mantle was in that weird, pre-internet everywhere era. We were traveling to San Francisco and I worried I wouldn’t hear of his death if it happened while we were away. I didn’t quite realize the extent to which he’d be nationwide news.