and I’m pleased to say, I found the pot of gold: overnight temperatures below 70! This week was a blessing after it being brutal everywhere and I hope you’re all staying safe. The Con Edison emails telling me I was using more energy were guilt inducing, but we need to sleep! Linking up with Deborah and Kim for a catchup on summer and Bronx 10M training, which simultaneously feels like it’s in five minutes/next month “problem”
Week of July 24
- never miss a Monday: super gross, so treadmill 4+ miles it was. I had good music so no dreadmill vibes. It wasn’t too hot too walk home so I did so via Crumbl for a themed cookie. Sharks are protein right?
- our summer soiree was Tuesday night, and it was a great celebration of our work and partners. Summer whites and brights is just so fun. Managed to get to the gym that morning for a row and some wobble board work. My balance stinks, but I so love that.
- Wednesday: beginning of the absolute worst of the heat. We did a Restaurant Week lunch and I took a needed rest day after having run Sunday and Monday and cross trained Tuesday.
- Thursday: real feel of 102 cancelled the Office Run Group and I headed to the gym. Knew I couldn’t do Sunday’s “long run” then with the Damon Runyon so did it Thursday on the treadmill with some good Peloton classes. I really don’t mind it, because AC > 90+ real feel after work.
- Friday: knew I wasn’t going to run run on Saturday so went to the gym and did a row bootcamp and then stumbled on a cycling class. I am not a group fitness person in the least, but that was fun and better to use the gym’s AC then my own.
- Saturday: Damon Runyon 5K etch a sketch! I shouldn’t have even bothered to try the watch because you’re inside Yankee stadium, but it’s great for a laugh. I think they sent our official times, but I can’t find it, and didn’t run it for time as it was super hot and humid. I will always support this race as it’s for cancer research, but it needs to not be in July! It was nice to go in the spectator suite for some AC before heading back. I was enjoying the breeze by the river when the skies opened and we got that rainbow.
- Sunday: Sat in Central Park and read.
Week of July 31:
- Monday: Beautiful morning, but I couldn’t get out the door on time so ran after work. So nice not to melt even though I was tired and am not the evening runner I used to be.
- Tuesday: took advantage of some high 60s and did some speed work. Legs were tired running 12 hours apart, but 6×400 is always a good way to start the day.
- Wednesday: row, row row your boat… I so missed rowing and have really enjoyed the Peloton row classes. Good cross training that gives my knees a break.
- Thursday: Curse of “one more email” got me, and I ended up getting in a quick run along the river after work
- Friday: mental and physical off day. Mani/pedi and some reading were the sole agenda items.
- Saturday: Summer Streets is so much fun. Much expanded since even the year I was marathon training, Park Avenue is closed from 125th Street to the Brooklyn Bridge and it’s a great car-free route. I had plans to meet a friend late morning so “just” (even when not running distances, “just” five miles sounds so weird) ran ~ 5 from home down to the Grand Central Viaduct and back. Running on a road closed to pedestrians and getting a POV you can’t see just never gets old. After a shower and change, met a friend for a walk and talk in CP, also: never gets old.
- Sunday: recovery run in the morning since I knew I couldn’t run Monday. More reading in the Park. Nothing better.