But I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more. Just to be the man who walks a thousand miles to fall down at your door.
I love Shorewalkers, they got me exploring Manhattan when I couldn’t do the Saunter, and I’ve done part of the Saunter twice. Shorewalkers’ founder Cy Adler died at 90 on Thursday, September 27. If I’m in town in May, I’m doing the Saunter for him. What a man and legacy.
Thanks again for all the Garmin advice. I decided on that as my #GoTheDist Q3 present to myself as the Charity Miles sale seems better than what I imagine will appear on Black Friday. I’m glad the sale ran through Sunday as it took me that long to decide which model. Final nail in the coffin? TomTom being a complete muppet during the Bronx 10 Miler.
Welcome to busy. Fall is always busy. This year seems worse (volume wise), but I’m lucky enough to truly love what I do, so I don’t mind the busy.
[bctt tweet=”Final stretch of #NBBronx10M training” username=”travellingcari”]
- Never miss a Monday: cross train was the plan and the reality as I did not want to run four days in a row especially after three relatively hard runs. An amusing 5K row was the only option as I forgot my sneakers. Not my crosstrain sneakers, my sneakers entirely. Oops! Although relatively slow, the row felt good.
- Tuesday: off entirely. Late dinner with friends. Had contemplated a morning run, but it was bucketing down, and no.
- Wednesday: had a short window after a work event and before the gym closed so I made the most of it by repeating last Friday’s speed test. Whee! 6.2 for a mile, then 6.3 and 6.4 for the final quarter mile. If I’m going to have these tight windows, I’m going to make the most of them.
- Thursday: office run group somewhat made a return. There were only two of us, and we used it as my Bronx shakeout since the weather was perfect. Cat Hill got me, but I pushed through and recovered pace on the final mile. Crossed 500 #RunTheYear miles on this run. I cannot wait to sync from Garmin since the Strava sync does not reliably work. Yep, doing the challenge again next year. I won’t hit 2,018 miles but I love the Facebook group for the great people. I’ll probably skip the shirt and medal next year though as I only took out the shirt when I was desperate, laundry wise, and medal and tokens are still in the package.
- Friday: Bronx 10M Strategy (more on that in the recap) & partial walk home. Although my running mileage has been great for September (hi, weather-facilitated long runs), my steps are off. It’s mostly a factor of busy, there just isn’t the time in my schedule to walk home.
- Saturday: quick shakeout, followed by a wander around the Village with the lovely Darlene who was in town to run a rescheduled race. Most amusing? Spotting one another in non-running clothes. We clean up nice! I learned the week of Cherry Blossom that I can walk the day before a race without ill effect. My feet had been feeling rough and I never got to a pedi earlier in the week so I decided to treat myself to a mani/pedi. Self care in all forms and as soon as it’s no longer sandals weather, I’m doing another Baby Foot.
- Sunday: Bronx 10 Mile, on a gorgeous autumn day. I ran to the train, and then it was a game of hurry up and wait as the race was delayed due to MTA issues. It was appropriate that Pitbull’s Greenlight came on while we were waiting in the corrals: Give me the green light, oh yeah. ‘Cause I’m ready to go. Not at all my typical music, but perfect for running and especially today. The race was a PR and I hit my goal. Still digesting this one, which I’m not thrilled with. More TK later this week. ETA: TOTR focusing on Bronx 10M here.
Training Mileage for Bronx 10M: 129.19 Miles
Plan this week:
- I’m going to miss a Monday. I need a day off. I’m sore, and have after work plans that probably negate even crosstrain.
- Light recovery run Tuesday or Wednesday depending on how my quads are feeling.
- Thursday: office run group
- Friday: off
- Saturday: Grete’s Great Gallop. Yep, bit the bullet and signed up for this 10K. If I’m doing Lebow or Women’s Half, I need to get back to Harlem Hills. That starts Saturday.
- Sunday: Albany
Need to plug in the steps & run walk tomorrow when month is officially over. I also need to process this. I pulled September steps out of a hat with a good closing week, but it wasn’t a particularly good month. I didn’t top last September’s steps until yesterday even with the increased running.
- 473,757 Steps
- 209.72 Miles Run/Walked
- 69.22 Miles Run
Definitely my highest running mileage month. Was I remotely tempted to go out and get .78 miles? Nope. I had a number of vague plans after today’s race. None of them involved more miles.
- 1,486,727 Steps
- 649.46 Miles Run/Walked
- 171.67 Miles Run
I think this is the closest I’ve come to my goal of 180 miles run in each quarter.
- 4,311, 909 Steps
- 1886.21 Miles Run/Walked
- 515.99 Miles Run
I am three miles ahead of pace on 700 miles run this year. That is, thanks again, to some insane long runs this month. Will I get it? Not sure. Always a stretch goal. I think I set it right though and look forward to seeing where I land. I’ll also likely hit 2,018 miles run/walked sooner than the end of November, which was when I hit it last year. 2,500 miles on the year probably won’t happen, but stranger things have.
On to October. Where did 2018 go?!?