Snow, root canal… What a week. Not much substance beyond the Wrap.
On the plus side, I crossed 600 miles run on the year and snapped up Inner Runner on a Kindle deal of the day and I look forward to reading that when I have some down time on vacation. Haven’t done any run reads in a while.
[bctt tweet=”600 miles, running through cold, snow and root canals #RunTheYear” username=”travellingcari”]
- Monday: Managed to avoid root canal thanks to a bite adjustment from my dentist who I adore & who got me in within an hour. I was still tender and did not feel like the jarring motion of running, plus I thought a day off running was smart. The rowers & LateralXs were full so I went to my old friend the recumbent bike for 9+ miles. Upside? Harry Potter. Order of the Phoenix is going to be the death of me, but I’m finally almost done.
- Tuesday: yeah, dentist’s fix wasn’t and my tooth / jaw was screaming bloody murder. I was at the office late and it was too cold to walk home, so I hit the bike again. It’s not really exercise in the way running is, but I treat it like I do walking home, better than sitting on my ass. 10+ miles and Potter 5 is done. I’m definitely taking a break on that series. I’m honestly not sure I want to finish it.
- Wednesday: didn’t even get step goal. Thanks, tooth.
- Thursday: root canal happened and what I loved? It finally stopped hurting. I was still numb after work so went to the gym for an easy mile on the treadmill and a solid stretch after. Was mostly a shakeout after two hours in the dentist’s chair. Oh yes, we had the weather almost all of you did. Lots of tree branches down due to the weight of snow on the leaves.
- Friday: off. Dinner plans and needed a mental health day. Came in just shy of step goal, but I was OK with that as a quiet night was what I needed.
- Saturday: my typical late start. I badly needed the sleep after this week. So nice to be able to enjoy my coffee without pain. I finally headed out late without a plan beyond getting in some miles for #TracieMadeMeDoIt, a great way to encourage Run the Year folks to get outdoors as weather makes it harder. I knew I needed to go to CVS so decided to run the long way there for 4.5 miles. Pace was all over the place (1st mile had lights), but it felt good given that I hadn’t really run since Sunday and I didn’t want to push too hard with a vague plan to still try to race Sunday. It was awesome to watch some of the NYRR 60K runners still out there at about the 8 hour mark. That’s some amazing endurance.
- Sunday: 4M Race to Deliver. As I mentioned last week, my plan was to try for a PR. But I gave that one up once my tooth kept me from running this week. Although I wasn’t sure I’d feel up to running this depending on how my tooth felt, I knew I’d participate even if I just walked as I love the work of God’s Love We Deliver. Because it was that weird in between weather of cold but not cold enough for gloves I wanted one of my shirts with thumb holes I wasn’t wearing anything NYRR and someone actually asked me if it was my first race. That was sweet. I tried to time my run to the start so that it would be an actual warm up and quick slip into corral, but it was a bigger race than I expected and it took about 13 minutes to cross the start, so I was cold again (and the winner finished just seven minutes later!). Mile one was slow due to crowds, weaving and Cat Hill and mile three was some wet leaf dodging, but otherwise the race felt good. 43:35 per NYRR, 43:38 per my watch (best thing about Garmin? It/Strava/Runkeeper match!) 31 seconds off Gridiron, but my second best NYRR 4 Miler so I really can’t complain. I’m actually not even unhappy that I didn’t PR, I pretty much knew it was gone from mile one. I stayed at the finish festival for a little while but then ran home because it was cold, moisture wicking or not. I crossed 600 miles run on the year and am really happy with that, even if 700 isn’t going to happen. I might pull out 200 miles more than last year (472.71), but even if I don’t I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished this year.
Needless to say, I didn’t start the NYRR Half Marathon Training and not sure I will. I can’t add one more thing to my plate right now. I think it will just frustrate me. I’m OK with keeping up as is for Lebow and pushing the “formal” training to the NYC Half even though my only goal for the latter is to have fun.
Plan for the Week:
- Monday: cross train
- Tuesday: run
- Wednesday: depends on how much time I have between work and my train. Hopefully at least quick run.
- Thursday: Troy Turkey Trot 10K where I’ll hopefully see Darlene
- Friday: Birthday. I want to do some celebratory miles, but not sure what. Maybe 3.9 since 11.23 and 7.9 aren’t happening. Will also depend on travel schedule.
- Saturday/Sunday: TBC based on work, our major event is 11.28 and I’ll likely work most of this.
Happy Thanksgiving to the Americans in the wrap. I’m thankful to know all of you, you’re wonderful additions to my running journey.