- all in the evening
- (with the exception of Thursday) on days I don’t typically run
- scheduled around in person work and a COVID booster
- in tandem with walks to and from the office on two days
- the end of Malibu Half training
and… they happened. Which I wasn’t 100% confident in when I woke to a monsoon on Tuesday when I should have been running.
With 121.9 miles run, this was a monster month. It slightly edged the marathon’s peak month, and while I don’t feel overtrained (more on that over coffee on Friday), I am really looking forward to a down month with some travel and half marathon recovery.
Seriously? I blinked and missed October.
- I didn’t miss a Monday: when it was a planned off day after eight miles each on Saturday and Sunday. I walked to the office and from an off-site planning session. Definitely lost some weight in the form of skin from new shoes, but they’re cute and well, that’s why bandaids were made. It’s not the shoes’ fault, unlike sneakers they’re not meant to be worn ~ 5 miles on day one. The walk between the office and the off-site session was a fun one with Rockefeller Center’s Mexico Week installation.
- Tuesday: woke up to pouring rain, and went back to sleep. Luckily it cleared a bit after work and I got in five miles on the river. More East River sunsets that aren’t meant to exist and nice not to be constrained by time and just enjoy the miles. Humid between the storms, but still comfortable.
- Wacky Wednesday: spent the morning in the office after a beautiful walk through Central Park (in more sensible shoes) and then walked up to the best vaccination center in the city-not that I’m biased or anything. When it was announced as a vaccine site it was the one time I’d wished I wasn’t already vaccinated. The vaccine itself isn’t under the whale, but the post-injection observation room was on the mezzanine, which was awesome. Was feeling good right after the vaccine so walked home. Leaves are weird this year, but pretty.
- Thursday: was feeling drained, as expected, post Booster. Did go out for a walk/run to get matzoh ball soup after work. Power nap or matzoh ball soup. Both medicinal.
- Friday: Saturday should have been my last long run before Malibu, but with a ferry and needing to deal with bag check during Sunday’s race I decided it would be easier to find the miles elsewhere. Woke with side effects almost non-existent and decided to run as far as I felt good. Meandered around the park chasing the last of the leaves before the third storm and somewhere around 7.5, I was wiped, so I headed home. Ended up at 9.5 which wasn’t quite the ten I should have done, but better than pushing it. I had one goal for this training cycle, and I finished it uninjured. Now for taper time bubble wrap.
- Saturday: off. Errands between the rain drops. Overdue apartment cleaning.
- Sunday: Haunted Island 10K. More to come this week. Don’t usually post the sports bra in the flat Cari, but with it orange-ok salmon-I kind of had to. Different kind of destination race in a ferry to a ferry sense.