Previous post topics when I thought I’d get this posted sooner:
- I’m taking my talents to South Florida
Yep, that made the rounds after the NFC/AFC Conference Championship Games with the Super Bowl in Miami. I can’t believe Lebron’s decision was ten years ago this summer. Where did the last ten years go?
While it wasn’t Miami, the cold snap had me looking very much forward to a long weekend in Florida. To be honest, deferring the Half didn’t bother me at all. It’s not a dream or bucket list race, and I’ll be back stronger in 2021.
- Shakira’s Hips Don’t Lie
was on Wednesday 1/22 at PT and can’t say how true that was. So many of the exercises focus on the hip. I swear I need glue to hold mine in alignment.
The PT is really helping to the extent I was able to run back to back days twice. That’s something I typically don’t to and probably shouldn’t generally, but I was able to. The PT student I was working with just graduated & finished her internship, and I will miss her. The one she was working under is the same one I saw this time last year, so I know he’s wonderful, I’ll just miss the one on one focus on how bad my coordination is.
This year’s candidate for dead bug‘s I Can In No Way, Shape or Form Do This status is this shift into running stance from Stork. Nope, one too many steps.
Hamming with Palm Trees, for reasons you’ll see later.
Pleased to learn that I was selected again as a Skirt Sports ambassador this year. Among the many things I learned from this wonderful run/blog group is how running clothes need pockets as much as dresses do. As I said to Elizabeth when we ran, it was nice to have on my windbreaker for all the pockets, but Skirt spoils me. I was home a few weeks ago and the random leggings that live at mom’s don’t have pockets. I can run without my phone (and honestly usually do) – but I didn’t have where to put a key.
In the odd event you don’t already have a Skirt Sports ambassador you shop with and/or aren’t one yourself, use SS15Car75 to shop with me.
[bctt tweet=”Skirts for Florida and NYC running. Pleased to return in 2020 as a #SkirtAmbassador. use SS15Car75 to shop with me” username=”travellingcari”]
Linking up with Deborah and Kim for an abbreviated two week Weekly Run Down:
- never miss a Monday: office closed due to MLK, but the day started off with PT. One of the many ways running has changed me. In the past I’d have rescheduled this and slept in. Instead I was there at 8a for a fun session of single leg squats and other oh so fun things. Hurts so good! I opted out of running there due to a frigid wind chill and after coffee with a friend who’d recently moved back, I headed to the gym. I saw a really awesome speed workout that Birchwood Pie did and knew I needed to try it. I warmed up for a mile at 5.5 and then alternated 5.2, 5.8 for 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 with two minutes easy between. The end was a little crunched as I a ) lost track and b) had the start of a blister. Still it was a good nearly 5 miles. I think those sneakers are getting binned though – they’re also the ones I’m blaming for the IT Band issues.
- Tuesday: worked late. Nothing else to speak of.
- Wednesday: PT. Lots of work trying to keep my hips in alignment. Run commute home as I worked from home before my flight. I love the backpack, although it’s going to force some minimalism in what I haul around. My shoulder thinks that’s a good thing.
- Thursday: one of those back to back runs. Couldn’t resist a beach visit before we went to Manatee Lagoon.
- Friday: no running, but a wonderful visit to the Morikami Museum & Gardens.
- Saturday: wanted to try six, and I got six running along A1A to Atlantic and back. I like Delray, but one reason I prefer Lauderdale is the beach side isn’t built up and there’s a better breeze. Run felt good. We followed it with a visit to Flamingo Gardens, which was amazing.
- Sunday: it was “chilly” which is actually perfect beach weather for me because I don’t get too warm. Perfect Florida farewell. I didn’t run because I wanted to run to PT Monday and knew running three days in a row would be Bad.
Week of 1/27:
- Monday: spoiler, I didn’t run to PT. I didn’t even get to the gym because of two end of day meetings. PT means I didn’t miss a Monday though.
- Tuesday: some fun Lunar New Year art to and from a meeting. Gym after work for PT, yoga.
- Wednesday: I don’t remember. Oops. Probably worked late.
- Thursday: return of the office run group. We’ve done this route seventeen times. This was probably our slowest as we’re both in PT for various injuries. It was a cold but manageable evening.
- Friday: yoga ball taming! AKA, PT and yoga and bib pickup for Saturday’s Frozen Penguin
- Saturday: my fourth Frozen Penguin, and first with Elizabeth. It was so (relatively) warm & foggy it was nuts. More on this Tuesday. It was great.
- Sunday: Super Bowl Runday! My Garmin had a bit too much beer, but it was a lovely day to be in Central Park. More on both of these races Tuesday.
Plan for the week:
- Monday, Thursday: PT
- Run when I can, rest & PT when I can’t
- Sunday: Manhattan 7 Miler. Nervous about Harlem Hills, although I had no issue with Cat Hill this week.
I meant what I said. No goals for January or even 2020 as I focused on healing.But I did track my numbers because it has just become habit:
- 400,508 steps
- 175.31 miles run/walked
- 43.78 miles run
I didn’t even think about daily step goal other than Friday, January 31 as my spreadsheet told me that if I hit goal that day I’d get 400K for the month. Not chasing pointless steps was a smart move.
12 gym visits; 49 for September – February cycle. Whee. On track.
No goals for February. Just continuing PT/prehab/yoga and running when I can. Bermuda is going to be amazing whether I run or walk the Half, or some combo thereof.
So glad to hear that your PT sessions are helping you feel better too. Keep moving forward! A few days in Florida is always nice this time of the hear. Bermuda will be better than you expect. You are all going to have a great time.Thanks for linking up!
So excited to hear you’re going to Bermuda! I’ve seen other bloggers are going too so it’s going to be a great reunion too! That timer-fail shot is actually really cool!!
I had to laugh at your comment about needing glue to hold your hips in place because I feel the same way! I still make regular trips to the chiropractor for adjustments and when i slack on my strength training I notice it right away. Keep up the great work and it will all pay off!
It sounds like your PT is coming along and your running is going well. I’m hoping for the same! Glad you had fun in Florida and didn’t have FOMO about missing the race.
Have a great week!
Bermuda is amazing. We went when I was 9. I still remember it (and have wanted to go back forever!).
My hips are almost always out of alignment when I go to the chiro, which I haven’t done in way too long. It’s unfortunate that it’s so important for runners! Well, everyone, really.
I try not to run back to back, but even with a mild winter, that can be hard, or sometimes just with scheduling. At some point I’ll get back to 4 x week & then it will be necessary. Or maybe I won’t . . .
Sounds like you’re in good place with running (still). And hopefully it will just get better as the year goes on!
Glad the PT is going well. I’m jealous of your Florida trip! The hubs and I are headed to Tampa, but not until the third weekend of March…seems like a long ways off…
Glad that PT is going so well. I still have issues with my hips/SI joint. Luckily I work out with a PT and she gives me homework to do. So far so good. I’m going to Florida in March and I’ve signed up for a 25k trail race in the Everglades! I think I’ve finally gone off the deep end…
I am so happy to hear that PT is going so well and that you were able to run two days in a row – that’s a huge win!
I’ve never been to Bermuda but my friends that have gone say it’s absolutely beautiful! I’m sure you will have a great time.
I share your pain on the misaligned hips. Mine come out of alignment and I don’t know what else I can do to prevent it. My chiro says it’s just “life”. Oh well. Loving your sunny FL pics. I need some sun. And some temps above freezing for a change. What did we do before pockets in workout clothes? I’ve become so dependent on them it’s an outrage when there aren’t any.
so happy to hear that you are running and even happier that you raced. I would have done two this weekend if my foot did not hurt.
Can’t wait for Bermuda!!!!!!
I’m so glad you’re getting back to your running! That’s so awesome! I never got to the Morikami Gardens when I lived in South Florida, but I hear they are gorgeous!
You are going to have the best time in Bermuda!
Morikami was fun. We almost never sightsee when I’m there, so this was a fun change
the Frozen Penguin should have been called the Climate Change Penguin instead this year! Looks like you had quite the sunny running experience lately as well! I’ve never been to Bermuda so I’m kind of envious!
Seriously! I’m also assigning some of the blame to their tank top shirts. Crazy pants.
Funny, Bermuda was never on my bucket list & then Darlene found the race.
Great work and attitude! Single leg squats are the key to life, I feel. Hm, maybe.
Life. Or Death given my lack of balance. I haven’t crashed into a wall. Yet
Congrats on the Skirt Sports ambassadorship! Jealous of your trip to Bermuda. I am sure you’ll have a great time.
Pingback: recognizing burnout – travellingcari.com
Pingback: Running into 2021 – travellingcari.com