Five years ago this week, Liz and I got to run together in person. In subsequent years we’ve occasionally managed to run at the same time, at the same clock time in our respective time zones or the same distance. A couple of weeks ago I said to Liz that it wasn’t happening. I knew Wednesday – the actual runversary – was meetings heavy and unlikely to work for running. She also doesn’t run Wednesdays so we decided to make it a runversary week, because it’s about the spirit of running together. I’m laughing as I read last year’s post, I had to do the same re-staging of the photo this year. Linking up with Kim and Deborah for more of this week’s shenanigans.
- never miss a Monday: 90 before some gorgeous weather so I decided to run into work for runversary take one. Selfies don’t work for high fives, but I always love running down Cat Hill.
- Tuesday: I don’t run back to back, except when it’s 65 in August and I have an appointment near home that frees me with some time for a weekday Central Park run. It’s a very good day that begins and ends in Central Park.
- Wednesday: lunch in Long Island City, an afternoon meeting at the Museum of Natural History. Although I’d twice been to the new Gilder Center, I hadn’t seen the re-installed Hall of Gems and my favorite geode. Its scale never ceases to amaze me, and this sign was just mean when I had no ice cream nor cookies.
- Thursday: one way to do speed work — run late to meeting up with someone after yet more photos, one of which ultimately worked for the collage. It was super humid so the run was nothing much anyway.
- Friday: off day. Up to Katonah to visit with a friend before doing some trip errands when I returned including the new Barnes & Noble. The day before I escaped The Strand’s UWS location without buying anything, but would I really be human if I escaped a bookstore on consecutive days?
- Saturday: The plan was to run ten by the river before spectating some friends, but either my alarm didn’t go off, or I didn’t hear it. Oops. I woke in time to spectate, which was really all that truly mattered as I had time to run later. I’ve done ten miles on the treadmill once before. I really hope it’s another four years before I have to again. This wasn’t bad — I had a great Peloton stack and the Notre Dame game – but it’s just a long time. I love the gym’s Woodway treadmills, but the jelly leg when you step off is real. Another good chance to test fueling ahead of September’s race. I love the waffles, but only when I have a lot of water. It’s a weird 3 week pseudo taper, but it will work for me.
- Sunday: 4m walk through Central Park with a friend, recovery ride home. I appreciate that Citi Bike thinks I’m a crow. I’m a little hurt that it didn’t have me ride across the bodies of water. The wiggle back to Park? I forgot what a hill Lex is. Otherwise packing and erranding.