wasn’t I just writing out the goals for 2015? For more reasons than this challenge, this year has gone by in a flash. It’s somewhat bizarre to be writing up 2016 goals before wrapping 2015 but a) I’m traveling for the next two days and b) I’ve already been overthinking 2016 way too much. I swear it’s like needing to close a restaurant menu to make a decision. In this case, it needs to be committed in writing. The blog version of Facebook official?
For anyone who doesn’t know #GoTheDist, here is Robby’s post about the 2016 theme and here is the background. For the same reasons I love my Fitbit challenges, I love GTD because it’s a challenge to myself, not a competition. A short note on 2015, to be elaborated on later, obliterated my steps goal and topped mileage goal. I also ended up with 102 books read. Whee!
So obliterating steps but barely hitting mileage. Math error or change in stride calculation between Flex & Charge. WIth me it could be either but I’m leaning toward the latter. I need to actually go back and calculate steps vs. miles on either side of my change, but that’s not happening tonight. I did some rough math and found that one mile is ~2300 steps for me. Besides the steps/mileage ratio, I also had to figure out what to do with May. Yes, May, the insane month with nearly 360K steps thanks, mostly, to 19 miles of the Great Saunter. It also had an assist from a 20K and two 18K days while in Seattle. While over thinking my 2016 goals I said I should factor out May since it’s not repeatable-but then I thought why not? I could certainly do part of the Saunter again if not try to finish. And while I”m not going back to Seattle this year I could explore another walkable city.
That thinking lead me to the following non-spreadsheet goals for 2015:
- Continue the trend of exceeding the total from that month the previous year. I’ve had fun doing that since July. I haven’t worked out the exact math on those yet, but I will. It will likely mean my official goal is different to my on the go goal, but what else is new?
- Related, I’m going to try for 1m again in Q2 but we’ll see because that was May
- Get my head back in the game with the gym. I hit my 50 visits but then didn’t file for reimbursement and have barely gone since. It’s going to impact my steps since Charge on the shoe doesn’t work nearly as well as Flex did, but I think I’m willing to make that concession.
- The realization that I’m going to need multiple goals and I’m OK with that.
So with all of that in mind here is where I *think* I am for 2016:
- 3,600,000 steps – this should be in line with the increase on 2015 months while cancelling out May.
- 1515 miles – slightly less than what I’ve done so far in 2015, but increase on 2015’s goal and includes the step/mileage issue above
Pending Robby’s blessing, I’m going to have my goal be steps instead of mileage since it’s less math and more actual.
My Personal Challenge
- 3,680,000 steps **
- 1600 miles for 2016
That math again. It doesn’t work that I’ve walked just north of 3.7m steps and have closer to 1500 than 1600 miles. Someone want to fix it for me?
The #GoTheDist steps are in the spreadsheet. I guess I’m going for it…